Saturday, August 2, 2014

Beginnings

 My first exposure to the Ice Age Trail happened when I was incredibly young; I grew up near its western terminus and often visited Interstate State Park.  I remember seeing a display about the trail.  I couldn't have been more than ten.

I never did any hiking on the trail until my friend Fritz arranged it in 2011.  Along with a guy named Charles we hiked a couple of days.  It was perfect: we got stuck in a terrible storm and had to huddle in the tent together, but it was okay because Fritz was carrying her plastic flamingo and he brought us hope.

It never occurred to me to hike a large part of the IAT until my friend Bovee suggested it a couple of years ago.  She's kind of a genius like that.  I wish I could bring Bovee along with me for the entire hike, but at least we should be able to visit near Luck.

After having four long-distance hiking companions (Hungry Creepster, Karma, Fat-Ankle Fiskars, and Hillbilly Bart), I've experienced the entire spectrum of issues that come up while hiking with someone.  These four people are different as night and day -- except they're all great and they all changed my life.  I don't have one hiking buddy for this trip; instead I'll be counting on friends to hike sections with me.  I'm excited to have four visits lined up already.  I'm also excited to tackle something alone.  I haven't been alone on a trail since the Long Trail in 2011, and I had so many local friends that I never went more than a couple days without a visitor.  This is going to be a different kind of journey, and I'm looking forward to it.

If you want to come visit, don't hesitate to drop me a line!

2 comments:

  1. Oh! I'm a part of the original story too! I'm the one you all called, while I was half-a-country away, to check the radar during that terrible storm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, I forgot about that! Yes, yes we did harass you. Thank you for your radar-reading prowess. :)

      Delete