Wednesday, August 13, 2014

The start of a new adventure

Before your eyeballs explode, realize that this is likely my most picture-intensive post ever because I have my computer with me tonight.

Today I started the Ice Age Trail!  Woohoo!
View from the eastern terminus tower
It was a really, really long day of driving across Wisconsin with my mom, auntie, and cousin, but we got in early enough that we visited Potawatomi State Park and I forced them up the tower.
It's a really nice tower.

This was really special, because very few trail termini can be driven to - I didn't realize the rock and tower were right on the road.  I was able to share the moment, which is sweet.  Aww.
Look at these two strange people.
I am related to them.


The tower was cool, but I liked the rock better because I am a geek.  Here is the rock that matches the one at Interstate! 

Yeaaaaahhhh Eastern Terminus!


 OH MY GOSH.  Who tagged along on this journey?  Why, it's the two people I associate most with the state of Wisconsin!  It's Katie Bovee and Katie Fritz!  I'm so glad they decided to join the journey. Welcome, Bovee and Fritz, to the journey.

I then started a quick 5.5 mile hike.  After being in the car all day, it was really what I needed.  Knocking out this short section sets me up really well for tomorrow.  Camping is extremely limited on this section of the Ice Age Trail, so I have to really plan out my mileages.

Here is the first IAT bench.

This section is very well-maintained and blazed.

It was a joy to walk along the lake all evening!
Tomorrow I'll be bidding farewell to my family members.  Thank you so much for taking this roadtrip with me, and thanks for finding me tonight after my 5.5 mile hike.  It should have been a lot easier than it was.  It's strange to have zero cell reception in civilization . . . like I'm back in West Virginia!

Looking forward to that forecast, the Ahnapee State Trail, and all the adventures this trail has in store for me.

1 comment:

  1. Which Katie is which? I'm sooo excited we're on trail with you! And I'm excited that you had a lovely day (at least one) for your Door County hiking. Your pictures make it look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete