Friday, August 29, 2014

Hike update, 225 miles down

Morning on the IAT
Hello from Minnesota!

No, I didn't finish the hike and no, I'm definitely not quitting -- just off-trail for a pre-existing commitment I had back in Minneapolis.  I will be heading back to the Ice Age Trail next week.

The past couple of days were incredible - absolutely perfect hiking days when everything falls into place and the world is glad to be alive.  I put in faster miles than I am used to, but it felt great.  Even on easy terrain it takes awhile to get trail legs, and mine have kicked in.  I feel pretty antsy here in civilization right now, actually.

The segments of IAT north of Hartland are some of my favorites.  The Loew Lake Segment felt like walking through Narnia.  It had been hard to pick a favorite segment, but once I hit Loew Lake Segment, it was no longer difficult: I just felt at home there.
I also really enjoyed Holy Hill. I couldn't believe how long the basilica was in my view; it felt like I could see it for an entire day even though I was moving fast and putting miles behind me.  This is such an interesting blend of nature and culture.  Much of the IAT is a unique balance of natural beauty vs. cultural interest.  (Sometimes, the "cultural interest" is a basilica, sometimes it is a bar.)

Just when I was at my happiest on the trail is when it came time to get off for a few days.  This trip back to Minnesota is a logistical challenge, but it's something that had to be done.  It's also important for the trip because it gives me time to reassess my gear (cough, re-waterproof my tent, cough), go over maps, plan some visits with friends, and heal from a couple of wounds that are . . . um . . . gross.  I will spare you the details.  You're welcome.


This was awesome.
I want to give radiant thanks to Trail Angel Tom, who not only provided company and food for thought but cooks a mean steak as well. He helped me get from Hartland into Milwaukee to catch my bus, and I am very grateful.  I hope our trails cross again someday.


I can't wait to get back out there.  After all, winter is coming.

1 comment:

  1. Just knowing you're in Minnesota makes this rainy day seem brighter. Enjoy the break---Mother Mary

    ReplyDelete