Saturday, October 4, 2014

Langlade County

After pancakes with ultra-local maple syrup courtesy of the Prunty homesteaders, I headed out into the snow to meet up with an organized hike. 20 of us hiked the first 2 miles of Kettlebowl together and then I went off on my own and they turned around. It was fun to have company!

Two lovely trail angels today were Rita and Isabelle who hiked Kettlebowl southbound to run into me and then bring me back to town! Because of their help I was able to get to the 40th Anniversary Celebration for the Langlade County IAT Chapter. And I lucked out and got another night out of the cold. Thank you!

The celebration tonight was so much fun. I met some new folks, put faces to some names I knew (like Gray Ghost!), ate way too much good food, and was inspired by Nimblewill Nomad, who was everything I hoped he'd be.

It is going to be hard for any other county to compete with Langlade. It has been the most amazing experience.

1 comment:

  1. What a day of trail magic! I was hoping you wouldn't be trying to share the Hillbilly Hilton with hunters. Was surprised when Gail said she had driven south through freezing temperatures to reach a friend's final hike at Milwaukee River yesterday. So happy for you to have such a wonderful day to give you memories for years.

    ReplyDelete