Monday, September 29, 2014

Sunday night thoughts

I have been blessed with no cell service for a couple of days. I say "blessed" because without service, I cannot call a taxi to get me the out of here.

Saturday was merely unpleasant - 20 miles on HOT roads dodging giant trucks. The truckers almost became my friends - one of them slowed down and offered me a raw potato. I declined, but the offer was..kind?  I think he was serious.

Sunday, however, was rough. I had 10 miles left on roads and by 9AM I was dripping with sweat and blood from dead mosquitoes. I hung out in Hatley, expecting to put in another 10 miles but I hit the railtrail and it was a WALL of mosquitoes. I made it into the woods but not without significant loss of blood and sanity. When I set up my tent, no fewer than 85 mosquitoes got in. I counted!  I can't leave the tent or I will be attacked.

I am writing this Sunday night in the hopes that I survive the night and find service tomorrow.  I will look back and laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment