Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Whew Marathon!

What an eventful county. No other county has thrown more at me than Marathon. From heat and bugs to icy cold rain, the weather has been completely bipolar. Marathon also has two of my favorite segments of trail: Dells of the Eau Claire and Plover River. Both are so beautiful and I hit them during peak leaf season. I am lucky.

yesterday evening I was frigid after too much icy rain (and too much time spent trying to wait out the rain at a pavilion, bad move Jo) and I managed to make it near the Plover River trailhead. I curled up in my sleeping bag and shivered uncontrolably for hours. With no reception I was stuck, until I managed to get a message through to my friend Charles. He and I and Fritz hiked a section of IAT in 2011 and without that trip I would not be here today. And then he swooped in at 10PM like a knight in shining armor and I got a hot shower and a futon and company on my hike today. Wow! What a difference 24 hours can make. Thank you Charles for being my trail angel!!

No comments:

Post a Comment